Share this article

Community

print logo
Buffalo Magazine: Community

Sitting inside Five Points Bakery with a double espresso, people watching and smiling at a dad and son each reading a book, I almost forgot I was on Buffalo’s West Side. It was just a decade ago, after all, that this neighbor…

Between work and family (and self-care!), life gets complicated. Oftentimes the right app can help—like these must-download Buffalo-centric ones designed to guide you through life in the Queen City with a little more finesse.…

When the cold weather finally cedes to summer, life slows down for the better in Buffalo. Suddenly, our winter-standard task lists of must-dos take a back seat to all the want-tos that have been in hibernation since November.…

This Fourth of July, Canalside is playing host to a history-making celebration—a fleet of majestic tall ships docking on Buffalo’s waterfront for the first time in more than a century. Here’s a sneak preview of the dozen gran…

You may have spotted a few Albright-Knox Public Art Initiative works before realizing it—and that was by design. “We started with temporary pieces. There was ‘Buffalo Caverns,’ a drawing tape mural at Buffalo & Erie Co…

At just 24 years old, Jake Moslow is an anomaly in his trade. The few fellow custom sign painters that remain have been in the industry for decades, many nearing retirement. But the creative force behind JM Signs can be fo…

Peter Cottontail has been hoppin’ down bunny trails across America since the 1700s–a tradition believed to have been brought over from Germany, where children made nests for Osterhase the storied hare to lay its colored eggs …

When Skye Lipton, founder of The Silver Lining for Pitbulls, started her rescue group a decade ago, she never intended to become an advocate for international dog adoptions. Yet over the last three and a half years, she has h…

By now we’ve all heard countless stories about Buffalo’s residential real estate market and how competitive the home search has been for first-time buyers. A shortage of properties for sale, multiple offers, and buyers diggin…

“It all started because I wanted to know how Keppel Street got its name, because that’s my last name,” said Angela Keppel, creator of the popular blog, Discovering Buffalo, One Street at a Time. Seven and a half years late…

Throughout American history, there have been only four instances when someone has taken the Presidential Oath of Office outside of the nation’s capital; Buffalo is home to one of them. On September 14, 1901, Theodore Rooseve…

Randy Schultz was just looking for a job. He ended up finding the love of his life. Respected members of the WNY media, the Schultz’s have carved out their niche in the hockey community. A perfect partnership that currentl…

My last boyfriend was 10 years my junior, and I thought it my job to spare him 10 years worth of mistakes by telling him what to do all the time. As you can imagine, he got tired of that and left me. Reflecting back, I learne…

Curtis Cook is a 24-year-old living his childhood dream. After growing up a Sabres fan, he became the team’s organist in 2016 and now gets to live out his sports-fan fantasies as part of the Sabres game day presentation. Whe…

Dionne Williamson has seen, time and time again, the power and joy that a safe, comfortable home can give to those who need it the most. A woman, who finally feels at home, is moved to tears by seeing her kitchen cabinets sto…