Share this article

Community

print logo
Buffalo Magazine: Community

By now we’ve all heard countless stories about Buffalo’s residential real estate market and how competitive the home search has been for first-time buyers. A shortage of properties for sale, multiple offers, and buyers digging deeper than what’s financially prudent, at times, to finally win a bid. But for homebuyers whose pocket linings only reach to a depth of about $100,…

“It all started because I wanted to know how Keppel Street got its name, because that’s my last name,” said Angela Keppel, creator of the popular blog, Discovering Buffalo, One Street at a Time. Seven and a half years later, Keppel doesn’t yet have the answer. But she has uncovered the meaning of over 150 other streets in the City of Buffalo. “As an urban planner, I’…

Throughout American history, there have been only four instances when someone has taken the Presidential Oath of Office outside of the nation’s capital; Buffalo is home to one of them. On September 14, 1901, Theodore Roosevelt took the Oath of Office in the library room of his friend Ansley Wilcox’s house on Delaware Avenue (the present-day Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Si…

Randy Schultz was just looking for a job. He ended up finding the love of his life. Respected members of the WNY media, the Schultz’s have carved out their niche in the hockey community. A perfect partnership that currently runs NYHockeyOnline.com, Randy pens the stories and Janet takes the photos. But it was their day jobs at Niagara County Community College that fi…

My last boyfriend was 10 years my junior, and I thought it my job to spare him 10 years worth of mistakes by telling him what to do all the time. As you can imagine, he got tired of that and left me. Reflecting back, I learned that just like with your own teenagers, you have to let people have their own learning experiences—no matter your good intentions. Today I’m a lot l…

Curtis Cook is a 24-year-old living his childhood dream. After growing up a Sabres fan, he became the team’s organist in 2016 and now gets to live out his sports-fan fantasies as part of the Sabres game day presentation. Where are you from? Grew up in East Amherst, now live in Getzville. I went to Williamsville North. What do you do for work outside the Sabres? I am a …

Dionne Williamson has seen, time and time again, the power and joy that a safe, comfortable home can give to those who need it the most. A woman, who finally feels at home, is moved to tears by seeing her kitchen cabinets stocked with dishes and glassware. A child beams from ear to ear because she finally has her own bedroom after living in a homeless shelter. Less stresse…

My girlfriends and I used to have a monthly book club. Once babies entered the picture and thwarted any possibility of reading a full novel for a few years, it turned into a monthly non-book get-together. But I’m back on full novels now, and I miss talking books, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to recommend four recent reads—and invite you share your feedback. All…

Kate Welshofer, WGRZ feature reporter “This new year is also very close to my first anniversary at Channel 2, which is so hard to believe! It was a really scary time a year ago with so many big changes on the horizon for me, so this year it’s a reminder that good things come when you take a few chances. And I’m just very grateful for the warm welcome I’ve received.” Mica…

You could say David Troutman is one of Santa’s most dedicated helpers. He’s been portraying Ol’ St. Nick at private parties, corporate events and school visits across Western New York for more than 30 years. A graduate of Charles W. Howard Santa Claus School, Troutman knows the perfect ‘ho ho ho’ comes from the heart. And this modern Santa even has his own website: Santada…

Buffalo Magazine: Food & Drink

Consider this a friendsgiving, Buffalo-style: A gathering of (just a few of) the creative forces fueling this city’s undercurrents of support, community and shared growth. That’s the spirit we wanted to celebrate as we usher in the last months of 2018. So we threw a laid-back feast to do just that—with the help of Amy Phillips of Private Knives and Jack Wrafter of Georgett…

Nowhere is the phrase “A little goes a long way” more fitting than when it comes to volunteering. Acts big and small can make a huge difference, and there’s no reason to think you don’t have enough bandwidth. Whether you’re a retiree with newfound free time or a busy working mom trying to juggle career and family, there’s a volunteer opportunity that fits your lifestyle—an…

The concept of what makes a good neighbor can be widely defined. Sometimes they’re strangers who exhibit small acts of kindness. Other times they’re business owners who mobilize their resources to give back. And sometimes they’re our actual next-door neighbors, who help shovel us out of a snowy mess. As Thanksgiving approaches, we asked you, our readers, to submit stori…

The Food Bank of WNY distributes 15 million pounds of nutritious, fresh and shelf-stable food each year to its 318 partner hunger-relief agencies throughout the region. In any given month, the Food Bank and its partners assist as many as 43,000+ households. In this season when food is the center of so many family gatherings, we asked CEO Tara Ellis a few questions. You…

There is a fresh wave of innovation and optimism in Buffalo, and the city’s newest entrepreneurs are a big reason why. From the tremendously successful 43North competition to a steady stream of startups impacting Buffalo and beyond, the WNY community has become an unforeseen hub of entrepreneurism. We spoke with the founders and operators of five unique companies, all b…