Share this article

Community

print logo
Buffalo Magazine: Community

It all began with a knock on the door. The massive E.B. Green-designed barn at the edge of the village in East Aurora had seen better days in 2017 when it first crossed the radar of brother-and-sister team Peter and Mary Z…

A seasoned North Buffalo plow guy (of Brothers-in-Lawn landscape and plowing) on what Buffalo winters are like for those keeping our roads clear. What are plowing hours like? Crazy. My family knows when I leave, I may be ba…

By day, Alexander Sloan McBryde is a self-described “actor, writer…occasional college student when I can afford it.” By night (and weekends), he transforms into a hero—literally. McBryde is a member of The Superhero Allian…

As the 2019-20 school year hits its stride, student-athletes around Western New York have more than winning championships on their minds. Thoughts of giving back to their communities are also on their to-do lists. “(Coach …

Ninety years ago, after Michael Shea constructed his 2,500-seat movie palace on Seneca Street, it quickly became a cultural hub for the growing South Buffalo community. Like his other theaters, the opulent Shea’s Seneca—situa…

Katharine Hepburn became the model for the modern American woman during the middle of the 20th century. She spoke her mind, once musing “I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man.” She wore trousers, which for her ti…

It’s like something out of Old Hollywood: Their eyes meet across a crowded room and there’s a connection. Her eyes widen as her eyebrows raise. His smile is tentative, then more confident. The music rises to a heart-pounding …

Western New York is home to an abundance of diverse arts organizations that add to our quality of life—as audiences and as participants—and that includes people who live with a disability. “We all experience that thrill of…

At its barest, a stage is an empty platform surrounded by seats. But at its best, it becomes another world—set in a spaceship, tomb, bedroom or battlefield—with a rapt audience forgetting, for a moment, what’s real and what’s…

One of my favorite summer sounds is children splashing about in a pool. If sunny weather, leisure time and high spirits had a soundtrack, that would indeed be it, and Buffalo City Swim Racers (BCSR) is working to make that jo…

Since its founding in 1862, the Buffalo History Museum has been a faithful steward of our region’s rich heritage, helping to share and preserve the stories of the people, places and moments that have shaped Western New York. …

Who doesn’t love a good art festival? Tents as far as the eye can see, each filled with artwork as unique as the people perusing. Delicious food and libations at your fingertips, music to put a hop in your step, unique neighb…