Share this article

Community

print logo
Buffalo Magazine: Community

The Edsel, so it seems, is much like the Lay’s potato chip. You can’t have just one. At least, that’s the impression I got earlier this summer when I spent the day with the local Edsel owner’s group at its 26th annual summer get-together, held (as always) at the home of Mike and Cathy Brogan in South Wales. The Brogans currently own four Edsels (a number always subje…

Western New York is home to an abundance of diverse arts organizations that add to our quality of life—as audiences and as participants—and that includes people who live with a disability. “We all experience that thrill of performance in our own way. But we all experience something. It’s very unique,” says Amy Jakiel, a professional actor and singer who is also an instr…

At its barest, a stage is an empty platform surrounded by seats. But at its best, it becomes another world—set in a spaceship, tomb, bedroom or battlefield—with a rapt audience forgetting, for a moment, what’s real and what’s imagined. That transformation takes place courtesy of a talented group of veteran set designers who transport theatergoers through time and space …

One of my favorite summer sounds is children splashing about in a pool. If sunny weather, leisure time and high spirits had a soundtrack, that would indeed be it, and Buffalo City Swim Racers (BCSR) is working to make that joy accessible to families all over Buffalo. Coach Michael Switalski was approached back in 1997 by public school #57 in the Broadway/Fillmore distri…

Since its founding in 1862, the Buffalo History Museum has been a faithful steward of our region’s rich heritage, helping to share and preserve the stories of the people, places and moments that have shaped Western New York. Its permanent collection includes more than 100,000 physical objects, 20,000 books and 200,000 photographs—and now, for the first time, many of those …

Who doesn’t love a good art festival? Tents as far as the eye can see, each filled with artwork as unique as the people perusing. Delicious food and libations at your fingertips, music to put a hop in your step, unique neighborhoods to explore and people watching. (Oh, the people watching!)Art festivals in Western New York draw thousands from near and far, many of whom ret…

An old firehouse is an iconic building. Alarm bells that sounded the distress signal. Brass poles that delivered a vertical stream of firemen from second-story bunkers to vehicles waiting below. Big bay doors out of which horse-drawn wagons and then roaring red fire trucks rushed out to help. Flag poles jutting from brick facades that flew the stars and stripes over first …

Sitting inside Five Points Bakery with a double espresso, people watching and smiling at a dad and son each reading a book, I almost forgot I was on Buffalo’s West Side. It was just a decade ago, after all, that this neighborhood was faltering. That happens a lot as I venture outside of my North Buffalo neighborhood to these little, thriving pocket neighborhoods through…

Between work and family (and self-care!), life gets complicated. Oftentimes the right app can help—like these must-download Buffalo-centric ones designed to guide you through life in the Queen City with a little more finesse. We promise they’ll make your life easier, and more enjoyable, as you get on with the business of living your best life locally. And did we mention, t…

When the cold weather finally cedes to summer, life slows down for the better in Buffalo. Suddenly, our winter-standard task lists of must-dos take a back seat to all the want-tos that have been in hibernation since November. It’s as if longer days and beckoning sunshine open up new space in our lives for pleasure and joy. One of the most gratifying, self-improving want…

This Fourth of July, Canalside is playing host to a history-making celebration—a fleet of majestic tall ships docking on Buffalo’s waterfront for the first time in more than a century. Here’s a sneak preview of the dozen grand vessels sailing in for Basil Port of Call Buffalo July 4-7: Barque Picton Castle Type of ship: Three-masted barque Year built: 1928 How tall…

You may have spotted a few Albright-Knox Public Art Initiative works before realizing it—and that was by design. “We started with temporary pieces. There was ‘Buffalo Caverns,’ a drawing tape mural at Buffalo & Erie County Public Library’s Central Library. Then we followed with Matthew Hoffman’s ‘You Are Beautiful,’ which was a limited series of 44 billboards with t…

At just 24 years old, Jake Moslow is an anomaly in his trade. The few fellow custom sign painters that remain have been in the industry for decades, many nearing retirement. But the creative force behind JM Signs can be found in his Black Rock studio working at his drafting table or 20-foot easel doing everything by hand—just like the old-timers. “I’ve always been in…

Peter Cottontail has been hoppin’ down bunny trails across America since the 1700s–a tradition believed to have been brought over from Germany, where children made nests for Osterhase the storied hare to lay its colored eggs in. Over the years, simple nests have been traded in for fancy baskets and mountains of chocolate bunnies, jellybeans, plush toys, games and other sur…

When Skye Lipton, founder of The Silver Lining for Pitbulls, started her rescue group a decade ago, she never intended to become an advocate for international dog adoptions. Yet over the last three and a half years, she has helped find homes in WNY for more than 100 South Korean dogs rescued from the country’s meat market. Lipton says it all started with an ad she saw. …