"Interlock," a 1968 painting by Julian Stanczak, is on view in the Anderson Gallery's exhibition "A Tribute to David K. Anderson."
  • By Staff
  • Updated 2:13 PM
    November 17, 2015

As patrons of the arts go, few made as broad and lasting an impression on the Western New York cultural community than art dealer and gallerist David K. Anderson.

The gallery he founded in 1990 that bears his name, the University at Buffalo Anderson Gallery, will celebrate that legacy starting Nov. 22 with an exhibition exploring his wide influence in the art world and his lasting effect on Buffalo.

“A Tribute to David K. Anderson” comes after the settlement of Anderson’s estate late last year following his death in 2009, which included a large bequest to the UB Anderson Gallery (1 Martha Jackson Place), the donation of 900 works of art to the university and financial gifts to 12 Western New York arts and educational organizations. His presence and contributions to his hometown ensured that the legacy of his mother’s eponymous gallery in New York City, which operated from 1953 to 1979, would be headquartered in Buffalo.

The show will include a selection of work from Anderson’s trove of thousands of largely abstract paintings, sculptures and works on paper, ranging from a recently restored series of mixed-media sculptures and collages as well as paintings by the likes of Julian Stanczak and other practitioners of Op Art. It will be accompanied by a specially printed broadside featuring a print of one of Stanczak’s paintings and a new poem written for the occasion by UB Poetry Collection Curator Michael Basinksi.

The show runs through March 6. Admission is free. Visit ubartgalleries.org or call 829-3754.

-Colin Dabkowski

There are currently no comments. Add yours now!